Making Money Work For You

By: Jeanine Skowronski

Garnishments are usually the result of a judgment — and a creditor can get a default judgement if a consumer doesn’t show in court, which, unfortunately, happens quite often, usually through no fault of their own. Summons can go to the wrong address or get lost in the mail. In some states, you can appeal a judgment. The papers showing the debt was paid in full would serve as evidence. Given you paid the debt, you may want to consult a consumer attorney in your area about your best recourse and whether you have any claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. More info about what to do after a judgment here: